Sunday, January 21, 2007

errr ... WHAT was that again?




So I'm reading one of BBC's accounts on the Ardh Kumbh Mela ... interesting - stuff that happens out there, the people involved, the frenzy, the love, the sadhus, the passion, the water, the sand ... u get the message - nice read!

And then I re-read the part that mentions that this is the holiest day for Hindus and that a whole bunch of them (more than 18 million I hear) came a long way to get a dip, some walk miles, sins get washed, pure bliss, God, Heaven, faith, religion ... the whole shebang! I have to say - WHAT?
I mean these are supposed to be my people, my country, my way of life (Liberal and all that - read Hinduism) -- the people who I have seen for all these years, lived with some, laughed with many ... but how come I don't relate even one bit to all this drama!... almost like I was reading a science journal about the migratory habits of lemmings!

I dont' connect - even on a microscopic level - with any of it! the feelings, the frenzy or even the holiest microsecond part of it! Its a peice of land on the 3rd rock from the sun, and then there is some water - go figure!

I know who I am and where I am. So where does that leave everyone else?

1 comment:

De-Silva said...

"So where does that leave everyone else?"

Hmmm....I guess they know what they are and where there are too!
I mean seriously, if you talk to a Sadhu walking around naked smoking Bhang, to him that is his reality....his path to bliss...nirvana...call it what you will! all he cares about is 2 square meals a day and taking bath in the Ganga...to him, we're probably complicating the shit outta our lives unnecessarily...your thoughts? :-)