Wednesday, April 27, 2005

The Bollywood Monster

Have always been thinking - How come there are so many good rock bands from Pakistan who come out with videos and albums and so few Indian bands who do that. OK - Euphoria is one of the best bands I have seen - oh no don't judge them by the desi songs they make - I was at their show last year and man they rocked - they played for more than 3 hours without a break ... my feet were screaming to sit - but they were rocking on without looking tired at all ... they matched the first Parikrama show that I saw at IIT - those days when rock shows in Bombay were not shut down at 11pm!!
but then I digress ...
Was reading this interview with Pentagram and Vishal mentioned the problem that Indian rock bands have - they are constantly overshadowed by this huge huge monster of Bollywood - it’s difficult to find a large population who in interested in rock music - along with Hindi fillum music or in lieu of. I know that sounds like an excuse on some level but I think it is true. Its almost like trying to sell grunge or punk-rock in the country states in the US.
Each time I think of Parikrama, I can not help but sigh ... such immense talent and no albums yet ... and then there are bands like "Orange Street" the Delhi band which rocked Mood-I 1996 or 1997 ... and if I am in a memory trip spree then I guess I have to mention Chakravyuh - man that was some band - sadly broke up quickly - tho Dhruv still continues to make some solid jingles type music - then there was Indus Creed - quite a good mix of desi rock - immense talent ... last I heard benegal is in NY singing for Broadways!
Bollywood does take a heavy toll of the Indian alternate music scene - I remember I could not find Shakti albums @Rhythm house - but there was Daler Mehndi all over the place - no disrespect to the DM man - but still ... that was unfair - it was easier to get access to Indian bands' recordings in the US than it was in India!
Roy Venkatraman, Karl Peters, Prasanna, Louis Banks, Ranjit Barot ... all drowned by the Bollywood monster :(
but then - at least until then we have these awesome bands from Pakistan to look forward to :)

No comments: