Monday, August 07, 2006

The Devi sold-out!

No this is not about goddess worship … well … in a strange kind of way it is! Thanks to Sarat for pointing out Virgin Comics and their latest avatar where they have roped in the likes of Shekhar Kapur, Deepak Chopra and John Woo to create a unique brand of comics – yes comic-books. The first releases have been from the Devi , Sadhu and Snake-woman stables.

This weekend I tried getting the books themselves and lo behold! – the Devi is sold-out! Hmm … that is good. I hope these books become a hit ... esp. in India. But hey, I managed to get a copy of the first issues of Snake-Woman (Shekar Kapur) and Sadhu (Deepak Chopra) and I must say that I was quite impressed by the story telling and the art-work.
But before I go into a dissertation, and while we are on the topic of art-work, I MUST mention this or my head will explode! The art-work in some of these books is absolutely stunning and that is just the beginning … I am eager eager super eager to lay my hands upon the fist issue of Ramayan Reborn – While I’m a bigger fan of the Mahabharata epic, the sneak previews of this book are mind-blowing – not just the art-work. They have the free sneak-preview of some of the books online - including a 17MB pdf


And before I drift away, I must mention the two guys responsible for all this (and more) – Sharad Devarajan and Suresh Seetharaman – yep these are the guys who started Gotham comics – both dudes with BFA’s from the US and very impressive experiences … I MUST meet these guys someday – and who knows … maybe even work at Gotham – how cool would that be!
Getting back to the books – The Sadhu is set in colonial times – another way of saying that would be – “when the British ruled over India!” … and about a British-soldier – James – and I won’t spoil the story … go buy it – its only 2.99 in issue! The Snake-woman, as all of the Nagina/Nagin fans would quickly understand is about Sreedevi – oops I mean a snake-woman! Nice story telling there!

Can you tell that I am excited :)

1 comment:

Sib said...

I love the images and comics too...

My humble contribution to help spread the word about these comics...